May 16, 2012

our very own backyard barnyard... at last!


...continuation of in this post...
The coffee sloshes gently as I change hands in order to pull the drapes that hide the sliding door. Joy floods as lacey curtains rustle out of the way to reveal blushing clouds against the deep violet hues of morning. Not enough light yet, I note, carelessly flipping the switch to the light in the outdoor room. I step out and it's warm enough to leave the blanket behind despite the crisp, sweet scented dew that's clinging to everything. I toss my Bible bag and it lands easy on the plush swing, and I go in again for my toast and honey. I am careful to move quietly in the kitchen, not wanting to disturb the family who still sleeps soundly, but as I step again out into the stillness I am free to sing out the hymn that had been stirring within since waking. The cardinal, the blue jay, and the mocking bird join in – all swooping down from the wooden fence to dance along the clothesline and among the branches of a nearby tree. The aroma of the coffee, the brilliant sunrise, the birds in harmony with my heartsong... everything about this moment seems to resonate the greeting: 'Arise, my child! Be still, for I am your God. This is the day that I have made. Rejoice, my child, and be glad in it!' My eyes begin to fill with tears of thanksgiving for the simple blessing of a glorious morning when... it happens.

Our rooster crows.

Red's old kennel had hardly been abandoned an hour before Daddy announced his plans of how to fill it.

“If Red doesn't come back by tomorrow, I want you to go get some chickens. That'll cheer Jasco right up.”

“Chickens?” I breathed. “Real chickens. In our yard?”

Daddy kinda chuckled and sent me a quizzical look. “That's what we've always said we'd do with his kennel, if we ever found Red another home.”

“I know – it's just. I never thought it would actually... you know... happen!”

My father laughed and put his hands in his pockets. “We oughtta get us a rabbit or two; keep the snakes away.”

My dreams were coming true – right then. We were going to have barnyard animals. We were going to have a real mini-homestead, complete with going out every morning to fetch eggs for breakfast. I could hardly believe it.

The next afternoon, my brother was impatient to get to the feed store. “A dozen chickens today, a herd of milk goats tomorrow!” The aspiring farmer exclaimed, catapulting himself onto my bed. “I wonder if I could get Philip to put my goat on a plane... I'd buy the ticket.”

I smiled from my desk, shaking my head at his incredible suggestion.

“I'll dig a small pond, and we can have ducks too! Duck eggs are good.”

“Mmm... the Dervaes are getting a lot of eggs from their ducks right now.” I offered in agreement.

“Oh – and I can breed rabbits. Those things sell for $25 a piece 'round here in the Spring time.”

“Sounds fantastic.” I answered, imagining a bustling maze of pens. “Too bad a milk cow wouldn't fit too!”

He grinned. “Someday. When we move out to our sheep farm, you can have your milk cow.”

We were both silent for a while, just thinking about how wonderful our backyard was about to become.

“Well, let's go get them!” He suddenly broke the silence, leaping to the floor.

"We have barnyard animals!"

Gracey is excited about the bunny.
It's pretty sad to look at the above photo, though.  Shortly after we purchased our animals, my brother was sitting my aunt and uncle's dog at our house, and this rabbit got out.  Instinctively, the hunt began... and ended in a victory for the dog.  We couldn't punish Scooter for doing what he was made to do... but we sure do miss our first baby bunny.  I don't think anyone told Gracey.  (See, canines are troublesome!)

Daddy does a quality check on the chick.
"What do you think, Dad?"
"Yep.... it's a chicken."
Ha ha!  That's Daddy!

10 Golden Sexlings
I'm hoping to get the chance soon to snap a picture of each of our soon-to-be-egg-laying hens (they're getting big, fast!) and name them all.  (Although, I have had some friends not recommend this, as eventually one or two are destined to be broilers, I'm sure.)  

My brother's already named the one all the way to the right, with the white wings and tail feathers.  Her name is "Ninja" because he testifies that the moves she does in her many escape attempts are pretty impressive!  

McCauley adds hay to the "barn" floor.
The kennel that my Dad and brother built for Red last year was the perfect range and his dog house became the "barn" and roost, both.  Not only good shelter from the wind and rain, but the doors Jasco added to the house also provided a place to put the chicks up at night until we were able to cover the range to protect our flock from the native owls and hawks.  Jasco and Daddy added chicken wire around the bottom of the chain link kennel to keep the tiny birds (and very talented bunny) from slipping out!

We have a rooster!!!
A friend is moving soon, so she blessed us by giving us two of her chickens: a Banty rooster named King, and a hen named Amber.  I don't know what breed Amber is... or how to figure it out.  Her eggs have a slightly blueish tint, but the only breed that lays blue eggs is Americana... but she looks nothing like the pictures on the internet... no crazy tufts near her ears!

This egg came from OUR backyard.
We're getting about an egg a day from Amber... although she laid two yesterday.  Delicious, fresh, huge, rich yard eggs.  Store bought eggs don't even come close!

McCauley holds Amber, our only mature egger (currently)
Thank you Amber!  Her reward is a daily walk through the garden, where she gets to hunt bugs to her little feathered-heart's delight!

Jasco and I having some good fun.
King is surprisingly very docile... a big contrast from the roosters in Alabama!  I was expecting to have to carry a stick to defend myself every time I did chores, like the kiddos do when they go around the territorial roosters at the Nelson's farm, but King doesn't scare me at all!  He'll even come when you call him (sometimes) and while he offers quite a chase when he doesn't decide to come, I'm not a bit afraid to gather him in my arms when I do finally get him in a corner!  I'm sure this is because our friend, "Aunt Cat", had coffee with him every morning... 

Oh, and I'm holding our new bunny!  It's an Angora... his fur is so long and soft.  Daddy's interested in the wool.  Jasco wants to breed them.  I'll post about the rabbit hutches and range he's building in the backyard soon.

Isn't he adorable?!
I'm notorious for not being a big fan of house pets, but I think I really like rabbits.  We have ours for the compost, and to help keep snakes away.  They're so sweet and mild (and quiet)... while this bunny is technically Jasco's (he bought it), I love to hold him to keep him tame, and I even got to name him Mr. Hodge, after one of my favorite theologians, A.A. Hodge. 

Gracey tries to feed the chickens weeds.
Everyone's pretty excited, but I think Gracey's the most thrilled of all.  Every day she goes on and on about the "bunny and chickens", and you should see the happy dance she does when you offer to let her come out and help do chores.  Precious. 

12 chickens and a bunny.  What a blessing.  That takes our "pet count" from the all-time low of one dog to an all-time high of 14 animals total.

Which will likely double as soon as Jasco gets permission to buy his breeding rabbits and egg-laying ducks.  He got on this shed-cleaning kick yesterday, convinced that we had enough room for a couple of milk goats.  Oh, and someone said something about tilapia.  

Guess we're getting as much farming experience in on this tiny plot of land as we can before we make the big move to the RV.  Preparing for a "real" homesteading life on the horizon?

Only the good Lord knows... isn't it such a blessing to be able to trust in His Sovereign plan?

Thank you for backyard barnyard, Abba.
And for waking me up to the rooster's crow this morning.  <3


Do you have a barnyard in your backyard?
Do you recognize the breed of our hen?

3 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Keep it up! If I know you guys you'll figure out a way to get a milk cow back there before long. ;)
    Lucky little Gracey get's to grow up on a farm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come visit. I'll even let you hold Mr. Hodge. ;D <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  2. We've had two roosters in our chicken keeping history, and they both turned aggressive at almost a year old. One was a Rhode Island red, and the second was a Barred Rock. Both were well treated and well loved (carried around by the littles), but they both decided to become mean. Bummer.

    Your hen might be an Easter Egger--not really a breed, but that's what they call hens who lay colored eggs. That's what she looks like to me. :) Probably an Americauna. She's pretty! We haven't got any of those right now--we'd really like a few though, for the green and blue eggs. We'd also really love to get a Copper Maran or two, and maybe a Wellsummer, because both of those breeds lay dark chocolate colored eggs! Which would be a lot of fun. ;) This blog here is a tremendous resource for all things chicken: http://chickenpic.blogspot.com/

    Chickens are superb snake-killers. We have friends in TX who, when they find a snake, just throw it to the chickens and it's dead in a minute. They hate 'em, they kill 'em. We don't have snakes up here, so I haven't had the chance to test it out myself.

    Mr. Hodge is adorable! I had a rabbit for several years, a Holland Lop. She was the sweetest thing....though, when she was a house rabbit she tended to chew holes in the clothes......not doin' that again. ;) Hee hee!

    ReplyDelete